Long Live the King!
Crusader Kings III is a grand strategy video game developed by Paradox Development Studio and published by Paradox Interactive and sometimes it’s tough to start your fist campaigns. Check our list for the Crusader Kings 3 Best Starting Characters. Don’t forget to check our Reddit and Discord and if you play Project Zomboid check our guides here.
What is Crusader Kings 3?
Crusader Kings III is a grand strategy video game developed by Paradox Development Studio and published by Paradox Interactive. It is the third installment in the Crusader Kings series, following Crusader Kings and Crusader Kings II. The game was released for Microsoft Windows, macOS, and Linux on September 1, 2020.
In Crusader Kings III, players take on the role of a medieval ruler, guiding a dynasty through various historical periods from 867 to 1453. The game focuses on managing characters and their relationships, as well as political and strategic decision-making. Players can choose to play as any ruler, ranging from a lowly count to a powerful emperor, and their ultimate goal is to expand their realm, maintain their dynasty, and secure their legacy.
The game features a highly detailed map of the world, which includes a vast number of territories, each with its own rulers and factions. Players can engage in diplomacy, warfare, and espionage to achieve their objectives. They can form alliances, arrange marriages, wage wars, manage vassals, handle succession crises, and even participate in Crusades to the Holy Land.
Crusader Kings III offers deep gameplay mechanics, including character development, skill trees, technology research, and a robust event system that presents players with various choices and consequences. The game also incorporates role-playing elements, with characters possessing traits, ambitions, and desires that influence their behavior and interactions with others.
Crusader Kings 3 – Best Starting Characters
The Best Starting Character depends on your preferred playstyle and goals. However, here are a few suggestions for different types of gameplay:
- Ireland (1066 start): Known as the “tutorial island,” Ireland is a popular starting point for new players. It provides a relatively stable environment to learn the game mechanics and expand your realm gradually.
- King Alfonso VI of Leon (1066 start): Alfonso VI controls a significant part of the Iberian Peninsula, making him a good choice for players who enjoy a challenging but rewarding experience. You can aim to unite the Christian realms of Spain and push back the Muslim Moors.
- Byzantine Empire (867 or 1066 start): Playing as a Byzantine ruler offers a unique and complex experience. You can try to restore the Roman Empire’s former glory, dealing with internal strife, religious schisms, and external threats.
- Haesteinn of Nantes (867 start): Haesteinn, a Norse Viking ruler, starts with a considerable amount of gold, a large army, and the ability to raid. This allows you to embark on ambitious Viking adventures, such as conquering new lands or establishing a Norse dynasty in a foreign kingdom.
- Raja of Mallorca (867 start): Located in the Balearic Islands, the Raja of Mallorca provides an interesting challenge for players who want a different setting. You can focus on expanding your realm and becoming a significant power in the Mediterranean.
Remember that Crusader Kings III is a sandbox game, and the best starting character ultimately depends on your personal preferences. Don’t be afraid to experiment and try different rulers and regions to find the gameplay style that suits you best.